Setting folder permissions for the IIS AppPool User
DNN (formerly DotNetNuke) recently started requiring that a website be ran with it's own AppPool user.
These steps assume you have already added a new AppPool in IIS, which will create a new AppPool identity (user).
- Once everything is configured in IIS with a new AppPool, open the folder of the website with windows explorer
- Right click in this folder, and choose properties.
- Open the security tab. Click the Edit button below the list of usernames.
- Click add, then select your local computer for the location,
- In the textbox for object names, enter "IIS AppPool\<username>" (without quotes) where <username> is replaced with your AppPool user name (identity).
- Hit the button labeled "check name." (If everything was set up correctly, it should resolve the name.)
- Then click okay to add it to the list.
- Set the permissions to allow this user full control of the directory.
This article is short and may not be very helpful, but I can't ever seem to remember the syntax for adding an AppPool user to a folder.